Wednesday 12 October 2011

Where got time to loiter?

The CEO at my CAB phoned yesterday to check that I was alright after the Monday run-in with client.

That was nice, I thought.

I didn't tell her though the next time I see clients mis/behaving this way I shall tell them in no uncertain terms what I thought of them. The CAB staff cannot do that. But as a volunteer, I can.

(This CAB employs about 5 staff members, the other 30-40 "work" on a voluntary basis.)

Clients have no right to abuse a free service. Even less so do they have the right to abuse volunteers who try their best without any thought of being paid.

And that man who told us to "get a real job", he has no job. He does not pay tax. I pay tax, a lot of it. So how dare he shout at my co-volunteers in that manner?

Thinking about how this client alleged that he was simply stopped and questioned, I thought, I have never been stopped by police and questioned.

(I've stopped them several times, though. Once to ask if a crime had been committed across the road. Turned out there was a cannabis farm. Once I saw that a group of Chinese illegal DVD vendors had just been rounded up. I asked if they needed any interpretation. Etc. etc.)

Is it because I always look like I am walking with a purpose?

People who are "time-poor" do not loiter. We just focus on what we needed to do, do it, and head home.

Why would anyone "loiter"?

When you look around you the next time you go out for lunch, do you see people "walking with purpose", or do you see many who are just ambling along, loitering?

The next instalment of "How to help the poorest" is brewing. I am too busy in the next couple of days to spell it out. I think it would have something to do with "walking our talk".

No comments: